(at time of publication)
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Spray a large pan with oil and place over a moderate heat. Gently fry the onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Add the mince and brown gently. Add the capsicums and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
Step 2 Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, herbs and spices. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the veges are soft and the liquid in the sauce has reduced by a third.
Step 3 While the meat is cooking, make the cheese sauce. Blend the cottage cheese until smooth, then add all the parmesan except 2 tablespoons and the milk. Blend until you have a smooth, creamy sauce.
Step 4 Add the spinach leaves to the meat sauce, stir in and cook a few minutes until wilted.
Step 5 In a deep oven dish, place a third of the meat mixture. Follow with a layer of pasta, a layer of meat, a layer of cheese and repeat the layering, finishing with the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top of the lasagne and place in the oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving with a green salad.
What we did
- Boosted the veges: Traditional lasagne is basically meat and cheese plus pasta. By adding mushrooms, capsicums and spinach we increased the bulk and the flavour, as well as adding a couple of extra servings of all-important vegetables.
- Changed the cheese: The traditional cheese sauce is big on butter, milk and cheese. We used low-fat cottage cheese with strongly-flavoured parmesan, giving a great-tasting (and no-cook) sauce with less overall fat.
- Used lean beef: It’s worth paying a little extra for lean beef mince. Look at the colour and texture of the mince: if it’s got lots of white bits, chances are there’s lots of fat. Lean mince will release hardly any liquid when browned, and it makes the whole dish lower in fat.
Traditional lasagne (per serve)
Total energy 2500kJ
Total fat 33g fat (15.3g saturated fat)
HFG lasagne (per serve)
Total energy 1890kJ
Total fat 12g (5.8g saturated fat)
Replace the mince with lentils for a tasty vegetarian option.
About this Recipe
- 250g packet instant lasagne sheets
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cups field or Swiss brown mushrooms
- 2 small red or yellow capsicums
- 1/2 packet (about 200g) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g 99% fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of your choice (basil, oregano, rosemary are good)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- spray olive oil
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified