Slow cooker chilli with salsa prima
(at time of publication)
Step 1 In a large frying pan brown the mince in batches, then add the chopped onions to the meat in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Spoon the browned meat and onion mixture into the slow cooker.
Step 2 Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped tomatoes, stock dissolved in 1 cup of hot water, seasoning mix and tomato paste. Heat until simmering then pour into the slow cooker.
Step 3 Mix in the beans and cook the chilli on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours. When cooked the chilli can be served with rice, corn chips, tortillas or jacket potatoes.
Step 4 To make the salsa prima, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stand for 10 minutes before serving.
To make this dish without a slow cooker, after browning simmer everything together in a pot on the stove for 1 hour.
About this Recipe
- 1kg lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons beef stock powder, dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 2 x 400g cans kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- Salsa prima
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (red onions are sweeter than brown ones but use whatever you have)
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander or parsley
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified