Slow cooker spicy carrot and pumpkin soup
(at time of publication)
Step 1 In a large pan heat the oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened. Add the prepared vegetables and the flour and mix as well as you can, allowing the flour to absorb the oniony oil.
Step 2 Put the whole lot into the slow cooker. Add the spices, salt, pepper, stock and water and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Step 3 When the vegetables are tender, purée or process the soup until smooth and return to the slow cooker to keep warm.
Step 4 Adjust the consistency to suit your personal taste; I like it thick with a little lite sour cream and some chopped mint. It’s also good thinned with a little coconut cream and garnished with coriander.
About this Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 fat cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped in chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut in chunks
- 4 generous cups pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (I use a hot one)
- 1 pinch ground chilli
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper a good grind
- vegetable stock 3 cups (I use stock made from powder)
- water 1 additional cup
- fresh mint a handful, chopped (optional)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified