Classic Christmas cake
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Lightly grease and line base of a 24cm-round or square cake tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 160°C. Cream spread and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
Step 2 Fold in flour, lemon and orange rind, almonds and mixed spice. Carefully fold in dried fruits and chocolate chips.
Step 3 Stir treacle through. Spoon into prepared tin and level surface. Add almonds (if using), arranging them on cake surface. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown and firm to touch.
Step 4 Allow cake to cool before removing from tin. Make small holes over surface of cake with a skewer, then drizzle brandy over (if using). Leave to cool. Serve as is, or cover with warmed jam, then ready-rolled icing. Top with sugared fresh fruits.
About this Recipe
- canola oil spray, for greasing
- 175g reduced-fat spread
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, rind
- 1 orange, rind
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 1/2 cups mixed dried fruits such as currants, cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons treacle
- 25g blanched almonds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sugar jam
- 1 1/2 cups sugared fresh fruits (see instructions)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified