(Hands-on time: 10 mins)
Total cost: NZ$ 6.40 / NZ$ 0.40 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- pinch salt
- 120g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 120g (3/4 cup) roughly chopped almonds
- 125g (3/4 cup) chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Beat egg whites and salt until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture holds stiff peaks and makes a glossy, stiff meringue. Add vanilla, almonds and chocolate.
- Cover baking tray with baking paper. Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture on prepared baking tray. Place in oven then turn oven off. Leave in closed oven overnight (or for at least 3 hours until oven is cold).
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free chocolate chips.
These cookies make a lovely edible gift – pack them in decorative boxes with tissue and a gift tag.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..