Lamb shank, capsicum and lentil casserole
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 Hour 30 mins
$3.83 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredient list:
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks (ask your butcher to do this)
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 large green capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 2 1/2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Lightly coat lamb shanks with flour. Heat the oil in a heavy- based flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add 2 shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining shanks.
Step 2 Add onion to the casserole and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes, or until soft. Add red and green capsicum and stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes, or until capsicum is tender. Add the chicken stock and lentils, and bring to the boil. Season with pepper. Return shanks to the casserole, cover and place in the oven for 1 hour, or until meat is very tender.
Step 3 Spoon lentil mixture among serving plates. Top with a lamb shank and sprinkle with parsley, if using, to serve.
About this recipe
Photography: André Martin
First published: June 2008