Cinnamon chicken with couscous
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently fry the chicken until sealed and turning golden. Toss in the chopped onion and reduce the heat, cooking until the onion is soft.
Step 2 Add the flour and spices and gradually stir in the hot stock. Mix continuously as you trickle in the liquid.
Step 3 Add the raisins, lemon zest and chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Step 4 To prepare the couscous, place in a large bowl, pour over the hot chicken stock and mix gently, ensuring all the couscous is moistened, then cover it with a plate or lid and set aside for around 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then spoon onto a serving platter.
Step 5 Add half the toasted nuts and half the coriander to the sauce. Taste and season with pepper. Spoon onto the prepared couscous, and garnish with the remaining nuts (if using) and coriander.
About this Recipe
- 1 medium boneless chicken breast, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 300g can chickpeas, drained
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2½ cups hot chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or almond slivers (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- For the couscous
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock, boiling
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified