Thai fish cakes
- 500g potatoes (such as desiree), peeled, chopped
- 425g can tuna in spring water, drained, flaked
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 cups green salad
- lime wedges
Total fat 4g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan. Mash roughly with a fork. Set aside to cool.
2 Add tuna, capsicum, spring onions, coriander, lime zest and egg to pan. Mix well.
3 Shape mixture into 12 patties. Place flour onto a large plate and lightly coat each patty.
4 Brush a non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over a high heat. Cook patties in 3 batches for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden.
5 To make dipping sauce, mix all ingredients in a bowl. Serve cakes with sauce, rice, salad and lime wedges.
Make it gluten free: Replace flour with rice flour, and use gluten-free tamari in the dipping sauce.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..