Carrot and red lentil dhal
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 500g grated carrot
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup split red lentils, washed
- 1-2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper, to season
- low-fat natural yoghurt, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Heat oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add seeds. Fry until mustard seeds start to pop.
2 Add the carrot. Stir. Let carrot 'sweat' for 10 minutes.
3 Add stock and lentils.Simmer for 30 minutes.
4 Add peanut butter, curry powder, and salt and pepper. Simmer until lentils are cooked to a thick consistency.
5 Garnish with yoghurt and fresh coriander. Serve on rice, naan or pita bread.
RUNNER-UP: Special diets category
HFG reader recipe competition 2009
Sarah Sheeran, Waitakere
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock, curry powder and yoghurt.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..