Spicy fruit trifle
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Cut cake in slices and place in the base of 6 serving glasses. Pour over orange juice. Add a sprinkling of cinnamon (if using).
Step 2 Add fruits to cover evenly. Set aside.
Step 3 To make custard, place custard powder in a bowl with sugar. Add just enough milk to form a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk with vanilla and then pour over custard paste. Mix well, then heat, stirring, until custard is thick.
Step 4 Pour evenly over fruit and serve immediately (or if you prefer, allow custard to set a little). Serve with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon and a mint sprig garnish.
- This dish also works well with leftover fruit bread or leftover banana bread.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free sponge instead of leftover cake or muffin, and check custard powder is gluten-free.
About this Recipe
- 140g leftover cake or muffin
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried fruits such as apricots, sultanas
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 pear, chopped
- 2 mandarins, chopped
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 2 3/4 cups trim milk
- few drops vanilla essence
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified