Slow-cooked beef ragout with gnocchi
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add beef and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Add tomato paste and chilli.Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Step 2 Add tomatoes, stock and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 1 hour 15 minutes. Add pumpkin and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until tender.
Step 3 Meanwhile, preheat grill. Cook gnocchi following packet directions. Drain. Add to ragoût. Stir to coat. Transfer mixture to a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish (or 4 x 1 1/2-cup capacity dishes). Sprinkle with parmesan. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until golden. Serve.
You can omit 1/2 cup stock and replace it with red wine.
Use this sauce with any pasta or for layering in lasagne.
About this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 425g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut in 2.5cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 200g (1 3/4 cups) butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut in 2.5cm pieces
- 400g packet potato gnocchi
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified