Vegetable and lentil soup
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Gently fry until onions are softened and slightly brown.
Step 2 Add lentils, parsnip, stock, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes until lentils are tender. Add more liquid (water or stock) if needed.
Step 3 At the last minute, add beans and cook until just tender. Garnish with fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread.
- Add chopped up sausages or leftover meat for a meaty variation.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free stock, such as Vegeta.
About this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- bay leaf, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, to taste
- 1 cup green beans, sliced
- fresh herbs such as parsley or basil, to garnish
- salt and black pepper, to season
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified