Sweet and sour pork
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a wok over a high heat. Add pork. Stir-fry until lightly browned. Add capsicum, onion and carrot. Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. To wok add ginger, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato sauce and brown sugar. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
Step 3 Dissolve cornflour in water. Stir into sauce. Add pineapple pieces. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Serve immediately with rice.
- For the best texture, cook lean pork over a medium heat.
- Lean pork is as lean as skinless chicken. It's a good source of protein, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, riboflavin, zinc and omega-3.
About this Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 350g lean pork schnitzel or steaks, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 440g can pineapple pieces in juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato sauce*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour*
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified