Chocolate banana birthday cake
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Grease and line a 20-23cm round tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
Step 2 Cream sugar and spread together. Beat in eggs. Fold in flour and cocoa powder.
Step 3 Add mashed bananas and yoghurt. Stir in chocolate bits. Spoon into prepared tin. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Step 4 To make icing, melt chocolate. Cool slightly. Mix icing sugar and yoghurt together. Mix chocolate into yoghurt. Use immediately to top the cake or cupcakes. Decorate with fruit and mint.
This mixture will make 12 small cupcakes, which will only need baking for 25-30 minutes.
Use a reduced-fat spread with no less than 60 per cent fat to ensure no difference in taste or texture.
About this Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups soft brown sugar
- 1 cup reduced-fat spread, suitable for baking
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate bits
- 4 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- banana slices or seedless grapes, to decorate
- fresh mint, to decorate
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified