No-knead gluten-free bread
(Hands-on time: 5 mins, Cooking time: 45 mins)
Total cost: NZ$ 4.62 / NZ$ 0.33 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 3 cups gluten-free bread mix
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 0g
- In a large bowl combine bread mix, yeast, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- In a jug whisk egg and oil to combine well. Add to flour mixture. Gradually add water. Mix until a soft dough forms. Add more water if necessary. It will be slightly sticky and form a rough ball.
- Cover bowl and leave dough overnight or for 12 hours in a warm place. The next morning (or 12 hours later) the dough will have risen and be slightly puffy.
- Set oven to 180°C. Place a large cast-iron or Pyrex casserole dish with lid in oven for about 10 minutes until hot. Remove and take lid off, ready to place dough inside.
- Carefully place dough on a board sprinkled with extra bread mix. Shape gently into a round and place in heated dish. Cover and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid then bake for 10-15 more minutes until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..