HFG cauliflower and blue cheese soup
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add potato and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add cauliflower and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Step 2 Meanwhile, fry or grill bacon until crisp.
Step 3 Purée soup in a blender (or use a stick blender). When thick and creamy, gently reheat. Add cheese and stir through until melted. Season with pepper. Garnish with extra blue cheese, if preferred.
Step 4 Top toast with bacon and a dollop of onion marmalade. Cut in triangles and serve with soup.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup full-fat milk
1/2 cup cream
120g blue cheese
What we did
- Removed butter, milk and cream
- Reduced cheese and salt
- Increased cauliflower and stock
- Added potato
HFG cauliflower and blue cheese soup (per serve)
Total energy 1250kJ
Total fat 11g (5g saturated fat)
Traditional cauliflower and blue cheese soup (per serve)
Total energy 2150kJ
Total fat 36g (22g saturated fat)
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free stock, bacon, cheese, bread and marmalade.
About this Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (including the stalk)
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 4 slices lean bacon
- 75g blue vein cheese, crumbled
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices multigrain bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons onion marmalade, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified