Pappardelle with rich mushroom sauce
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, over a medium heat until onion has softened.
Step 2 While onion cooks, slice mushrooms about 5mm thick. Gently add to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften. Add sherry and herbs. Toss to mix then when sherry has mostly evaporated, stir in evaporated milk.
Step 3 Allow sauce to boil then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for about 3 more minutes. Run frozen peas under hot water. Drain then add to sauce. Season to taste and add infused oil (if using). Keep sauce warm while cooking pasta.
Step 4 Bring a large pot of lightly-salted water to a rapid boil. Add pasta and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes (depending on pasta thinness). Drain then return cooked pasta to pot. Add sauce. Stir gently and coat pasta evenly. Serve immediately garnished with extra basil, crusty bread and a green side salad.
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta.
You can make your own pappardelle by cutting homemade or bought fresh pasta sheets into 2cm-wide strips.
About this Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, chopped
- 200g portobello mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup medium or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus extra, to garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup light evaporated milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons truffle or porcini-infused oil (optional)
- 300g pappardelle pasta or fettuccine pasta
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified