Vegetable, lentil and bean mole
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, chilli, garlic and Mexican spice mix. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add lentils and stir well. Add tomatoes, beans and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Step 2 Add mushrooms and kumara to saucepan. Stir. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 25 more minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in chocolate and coriander. Cook gently for 5 more minutes until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice and top with sour cream. Add slices of avocado and extra chopped fresh coriander, if preferred.
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free Mexican seasoning, chopped tomatoes and stock. Check chocolate and sour cream are gluten-free, too.
Dried green lentils can be found in the soup aisle at the supermarket.
About this Recipe
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup dried green lentils
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 420g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 250g button mushrooms, washed, quartered
- 250g kumara, diced
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified