Vegetarian shepherd's pie
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Thinly peel potatoes then cut in chunks. Simmer in lightly-salted water until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
Step 2 Mash potatoes with spread, half the cheese and enough milk to make a fairly soft consistency. After mashing, beat potatoes with a fork until light and fluffy.
Step 3 Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions. Cook until tender and well browned. Add capsicum and flour. Stir until flour is lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans then bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Add kidney beans either whole, roughly chopped or mashed. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
Step 4 Spread bean mixture into a lightly-sprayed 20x25cm baking dish. Cover beans with spoonfuls of mashed potato. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top. If not cooking immediately, refrigerate.
Step 5 Bake uncovered at 180°C for 20-30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free stock powder, flour and soy sauce.
- For a bean mixture with extra colour and flavour, add chopped mushrooms which have been sautéed in a little oil.
About this Recipe
- 6 large (about 1kg) all-purpose or floury potatoes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- about 1/4 cup trim milk
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red or green capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, paprika and dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water, beer, wine, bean liquid and/or potato cooking liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- 420g can red kidney beans, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified