(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion softens then add chillies, capsicum and bay leaves. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is clear and capsicum is soft.
Step 2 Add cumin and oregano. Drain tomatoes (reserving juice) then add to pan with about half the juice.
Step 3 Gently stir in cubed fish and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to turn fish (add remaining tomato liquid if mixture begins to look dry). Remove from the heat as soon as the largest fish cubes are just cooked. Stir in coriander, lime juice and seasoning to taste.
Step 4 Serve immediately over cooked plain rice. A crisp green salad is an ideal accompaniment.
Make it gluten-free: Use a gluten-free brand of canned tomatoes.
About this Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled, chopped
- 2 dried red chillies (5cm-7.5cm) deseeded, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, quartered, deseeded, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500g firm-fleshed fish fillets such as snapper, monkfish or warehou, cubed
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lime (or lemon) juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified