Spicy Indian mince and rice
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan (an electric frying pan is ideal). Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until onion begins to brown.
Step 2 Stir in ginger and mince. Break up any lumps and cook, stirring frequently, until mince has lost its pink colour.
Step 3 Add seasonings. Cook for 1-2 more minutes then add rice, tomatoes in their juice and stock. Break up tomatoes and bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Step 4 Season with salt and pepper then serve. Garnish with a sprinkling of almonds, currants and coriander (if using).
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free stock, and check your tomatoes are a gluten-free brand.
About this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 400g lean lamb or beef mince
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 whole cardamoms, crushed (optional)
- 1 cup long-grain or basmati rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups liquid chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toasted slivered almonds and currants
- chopped fresh coriander (optional)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified