- 4 gem squashes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 250g reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 100g smoked salmon pieces
- 400g can creamed corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or chives or garlic flakes
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Ask an adult to cut each gem squash in half. Arrange halves bowl-side up on the microwave plate and microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- While gem squash is cooking, make the stuffing: break eggs into a large bowl and beat with a fork. Stir in breadcrumbs. Stir in ricotta, creamed corn and salmon. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Wait until gem squashes are cool enough to touch. Scoop seeds out and discard. Fill gem squash halves with ricotta stuffing. Microwave stuffed gem squashes for another 20 seconds on high. Serve immediately.
- In winter, you can also stuff butternut, baby pumpkin or kumara (scoop out some of the cooked kumara and use it in the stuffing instead of breadcrumbs).
- In summer, replace the gem squash with capsicum.
- Leave out the salmon and use leftover mince or roast from last night.
- You can use canned green peas or canned mushrooms instead of creamed corn.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check salmon is gluten free.
- Gem squash tastes like a courgette crossed with pumpkin.
- To make breadcrumbs, microwave 2 bread slices for 1 minute on HIGH, then whiz in a blender.
Warning: Do not microwave the squash without halving it first!
Tip for adults: Winter gem squash has a very hard skin. Use a double-handled knife or rock a normal knife back and forth.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..