Asian-style meatball and noodle soup
(at time of publication)
Step 1 To make broth, place broth ingredients in a large pot then heat to boiling.
Step 2 To make meatballs, place garlic, ginger and coriander in a medium-sized bowl and add the remaining meatball ingredients. Mix until evenly combined.
Step 3 Work with wet hands to prevent the mixture sticking. Shape meatball mixture into 10-12 roughly golf-ball-sized balls. Carefully drop meatballs into the boiling broth mixture and boil gently for about 10 minutes, turning meatballs twice or so while cooking.
Step 4 Meanwhile, place rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for five minutes or until tender then drain and set aside.
Step 5 When meatballs are cooked through (cut a meatball in half after 10 minutes to check), add vegetables to pot and cook for 1-2 more minutes until softened then stir in chopped coriander.
Step 6 Serve soup immediately in one of two ways: either add noodles to pot (good if they have cooled) then ladle soup into bowls with everything else; or divide noodles directly between serving bowls to be topped with steaming broth and other goodies. Serve immediately.
About this Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 50g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2cm-piece fresh ginger, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 1/2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 400g pork mince
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 100-150g rice noodles (sticks)
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely julienned
- about 20 leaves (100g total) fresh spinach or 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage (1 serve)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified