Quick bean and pasta soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 medium onions, diced in 5mm cubes
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small (250g) golden kumara, peeled
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup macaroni or other short pasta
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add diced onion and cook over a medium-high heat until lightly browned. Dice the next 3 vegetables, adding each as it is prepared, then add stock and 1 cup water. Add beans and heat mixture to a simmer.
2 Stir in macaroni. Add bay leaves and rosemary (if using) and simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables and pasta are tender. If soup looks too thick, gradually add more water.
3 Add tomatoes and juice. Pour into bowls to serve or reheat when required.
Top with chopped parsley, grated parmesan and a dribble of extra olive oil. Serve with Italian-style bread.
- Add 1 or 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts with the stock. Remove after simmering for 20 minutes, dice, then return to pot with tomatoes in step 3.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock and pasta.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..