Lamb moussaka with yoghurt topping
1 hr15 mins
(Hands-on time: 35 mins, Cooking time: 40 mins)
Total cost: $ 27.56 / $ 6.89 per serve
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium eggplants, trimmed, cut in 1/2cm-thick slices
- 1 cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta
- 4 cups steamed vegetables, to serve
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Spray a large saucepan with oil and cook onion and carrot over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat from pan. Add tomato paste, stirring, for 1 minute, then add tomatoes. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Season to taste and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, spray a large chargrill pan or frying pan with oil and place over a high heat. Chargrill eggplants, in batches, for 2 minutes each side until lightly charred and tender.
- In a small bowl whisk yoghurt, egg and feta until well combined. Season to taste.
- Spoon one-third of the lamb mixture into the base of a 1.5-litre (6-cup)-capacity ovenproof dish. Top with one-third of the eggplant slices to evenly cover lamb. Repeat with another 2 layers of lamb and eggplant. Spread yoghurt topping over the top layer of eggplant and bake for 35-40 minutes until topping is golden brown. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free yoghurt.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..