Follow this exercise plan to increase your activity level.
If you haven’t exercised in a while, this can be hard work. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Pick activities that are interesting and fun to you personally. If you like dancing, find a dance class. If you’re a person who enjoys group activities, try joining a sports team or a walking group. You don’t have to work out in a gym.
- Start with an activity that is easy and convenient to do. You are unlikely to stick to a gym that is halfway across town – it might be better to try a home workout or a local exercise class.
- Don’t think you have to spend lots of money to start exercising. See The 30-minute indoor workout that works for exercises you can do without leaving the house.
- Get together with a partner, friend or family member and work out together. If you’ve arranged to meet someone for a morning walk, you will be less likely to press the snooze button!
- Don’t forget to have rest days – aiming to exercise every single day is likely to set you up for failure. As you get fitter, keep challenging yourself by slowly increasing the intensity of your exercise.