Get your low-fat carbohydrate kick with new season potatoes – perfect for summer's array of picnic potato salads.
Availability: New season potatoes are available from August-February. Special 'new potato' varieties like Jersey Bennies are available for a short season from November-January – just in time for Christmas.
Buying: Choose potatoes without any green patches, cuts, bruises or shoots.
Storing: Keep potatoes in a well-ventilated, dark place. Don't store them in the fridge, as this changes the flavour. Take care with potatoes as they bruise easily.
Nutrition: Potatoes are a low-fat carbohydrate which also add fibre, antioxidants, vitamin C and B vitamins to your diet. The skin and the layer immediately underneath are richest in fibre and nutrients. When boiled potatoes are cooled, some of the starch changes to provide additional fibre.
Ideas for using new potatoes
- Boil new potatoes and slice in thick chunks. Cook briefly on a barbecue grill until crispy, then toss with barbecued asparagus spears.
- Make a tasty meal in a salad by combining warm, boiled new potatoes, flaked smoked fish, baby spinach, peas, mint, and a little mayonnaise diluted with lemon juice.
- Boil new potatoes with mint leaves. Toss when still warm with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, lots of fresh mint and parsley. Serve with meat and salad.
- Make a Spanish potato salad. Combine cooked new potatoes (sliced), cooked chorizo sausage and lots of fresh parsley. Toss in olive oil and season with pepper.
- Boil new potatoes and thinly slice. Spread a pizza base with pesto, top with potatoes and fresh mozzarella. Cook under the grill until the cheese melts.