Q: "My husband said he's heard that eating mushrooms can be bad for you. It had something to do with a connection with fungal infections. I LOVE mushrooms and would be disappointed if this were the case. Are mushrooms a healthy choice?"Claire
A: We asked the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA) to respond:
"Mushrooms are a fungi but the NZFSA is not aware of any association between mushrooms and human fungal infections. Commercially grown mushrooms that have been handled and stored correctly are safe to eat. Nutritionally, mushrooms are a healthy choice. They are low in energy and a good source of selected vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin, niacin, potassium and selenium."