I love having friends and family over to share great food and great conversation!
The problem is, when time is short, chips, cheese and creamy/oily dips seem to be the easiest things to grab and serve – but, after nibbling and chatting goes on, if you’re anything like me, you can end up leaving the party/event/family gathering feeling like you have gained a roll round your middle and a little on the sick side… I am sure we all deep down actually want to feel good, don’t we?
The great news is, if you’re up for it, there is another way and this is the way I now do things. As well as a small amount of cheese (you will never get me to give up a small slice of blue cheese at a social occasion) or whatever your luxury item might be, you can serve some delicious healthy dips, some veges/fruit, wholegrain crackers, olives, raw nuts and all sorts of other healthier goodies (more on this in future blogs…).
Today, I am going to focus on making healthy dips at home: firstly, because it’s easier than you think and allows you to make a much healthier dip than many of the supermarket options; and secondly, because it is SO much cheaper to DIY!
I make these dips when I have friends over, to have with my lunch on crackers for a light meal or snack and really, they are good recipes to always have at hand.
Spicy carrot and chickpea dip
- 2 carrots – peeled, chopped and steamed until soft
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, curry powder, ground coriander
- 1 can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- zest and juice of 1/2 orange
Blend all the ingredients together in a blender. Add enough water to make into the consistency of your liking. Season to taste.
I made this on TVNZ Breakfast a few weeks ago for Rawdon and Toni – they just loved it and have been making it themselves ever since.
Recipe from Healthy Food Guide – find it here.
Until next time… happy healthier living.
Love, Claire x
Claire Turnbull, BSc (Hons) Dietetics UK, NZ-registered nutritionist. Managing director of Mission Nutrition, and Healthy Food Guide nutritionist.
- Grab a copy of Claire’s amazing 10-step guide to feeling fabulous every day – it’s FREE!
- Make sure you get yourself a copy of Claire’s best-selling book, Lose Weight for Life.
- For more ideas and inspiration, check out www.claireturnbull.co.nz and find Claire on Facebook.
- For one-on-one nutrition advice, visit Claire’s team of dietitians / nutritionists at Mission Nutrition.