Beef and bean burgers with mushroom buns
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
400g can black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
400g lean beef mince
8 large flat mushrooms, stalks removed, wiped with wet paper towel
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 slices (80g) Swiss cheese
1/2 iceberg lettuce, leaves torn
1 tablespoon American mustard
8 slices canned beetroot
1 carrot, grated
1 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
8 slices pickled jalapeno
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine black beans and beef. Using wet hands, form mixture into 4 patties.
- Place mushrooms on prepared tray. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with pepper. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying-pan over medium-high. Cook patties for 3 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through to your liking. Place a slice of cheese on each patty and return to oven until melted. Remove from oven.
- Top four mushrooms, stalk side up, with lettuce. Layer on patty, mustard, beetroot, carrot, onion and jalapenos. Top with remaining mushroom ‘lid’, skewer and serve immediately.
Make it gluten free: Check mustard is gluten free.
This recipe can be used as part of the Kick-start Plan.
Read more about this chef..