Beef and broccoli pasta bake
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 medium capsicum
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g lean beef mince
600g vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
250g wholemeal penne
2 cups broccoli florets or 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
1/3 cup grated parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan, to serve
3 cups mixed salad leaves
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Thinly slice half the capsicum. Set aside for salad. Finely chop remaining half. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over high. Sauté onion, garlic and chopped capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add beef and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add all tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens and tomatoes break down.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente. Add broccoli for last minute of cooking time. Drain. Stir pasta and broccoli into tomato sauce. Lightly grease an 8-cup-capacity baking dish. Add pasta-broccoli mixture.
- Preheat grill. Sprinkle pasta bake with grated parmesan. Grill for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, combine salad ingredients with shaved parmesan and vinegar. Serve pasta with salad.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.