Beetroot cake with orange frosting
Time to make: 1 hr 10 mins
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups grated beetrootbeetsX
- 1/4 cup apple purée
- 1 orange, zest
- 5 tablespoons icingfrostingX sugar
- 1 orange, rind curls and juice
- 175g extra-light cream cheese spread
- 2 passionfruit, pulp
- fresh mint, to decorate
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Grease and line a 23cm-round cake tin base with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2 In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add sugar.
3 In a separate bowl, beat eggs together with vanilla and oil and pour into flour mixture. Beat until smooth. Add beetroot, apple purée and orange zest. Beat again.
4 Spoon into prepared tin. Bake for 35 minutes. Turn oven down to 170°C and cook for 10 more minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Cool cake completely before icing.
5 To make icing, beat icing sugar with orange juice. Beat with cream cheese until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Decorate with orange curls, passionfruit pulp and mint.
- Servings : 12
- Ready in : 70 Minutes
- Ingredient : Apple purée, apple sauce, apple pulp, Baking powder, Baking soda, bicarbonate soda, bicarb soda, Beetroot, Cheese, Cream cheese, cream cheese spread, Eggs, Flour, Mint, Oil, oil spray, Oranges, Passionfruit, Salt, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Sugars, Vanilla
Use a reduced-fat spread with no less than 60 per cent fat to ensure no difference in taste or texture.