Time to make: 1 hr 30 mins
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 large eggs
- 175g castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- few drops vanilla essence
- 225g strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blackcurrants
- 3 cups fruit yoghurt
Total fat 2g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
1 Preheat oven to 130ºC. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
2 Place egg whites in a large glass bowl and leave to come to room temperature. Whisk on a low speed. Gradually increase speed until frothy. Continue whisking until whites are stiff and form peaks.
3 Whisk in a third of the sugar at a time. Make sure it is well mixed before adding more.
4 Use a metal spoon to fold in cornflour, vinegar and vanilla essence. Spoon meringue onto prepared baking tray. Shape into a 23cm round, making a hollow in the centre.
5 Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until meringue is firm and crisp on the outside. Cool thoroughly before removing greaseproof paper. Cool before filling. For the filling, slice strawberries. In a bowl, mix blackcurrants with yoghurt. Spoon into centre of meringue. Add strawberries and chill for 20 minutes. Serve decorated with fresh mint.
- Mini meringues (for bite-sized meringues): Pipe 30 swirls and bake at 130ºC for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely, then drizzle with a little melted chocolate (about 75g for this quantity).
- Sandwich meringues: Fill a piping bag with meringue mixture. Pipe 12 meringue swirls on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, leaving space between them. Bake in oven at 130ºC for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve as single meringues or sandwich together with 150g reduced fat cream cheese mixed with 2 tablespoons honey or 150g Greek yoghurt with added honey. Sprinkle with a little cocoa before serving.
See Step-by-step: Meringue for handy tips to ensure perfect meringues every time.