Chicken and cashew chow mein
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 375g pack dried thin noodles
- 1/4 cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- oil spray, to grease
- 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, cut in thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 red capsicums, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews, chopped
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Cook noodles following packet directions and drain. Set aside. Combine stock, soy sauce and rice wine. Set aside.
2 Spray a large wok with oil and place over a high heat. Stir-fry chicken in batches for 3-5 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
3 Return wok to high heat and spray with a little more oil. Add onion and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until golden. Add sprouts, capsicums and snow peas. Stir-fry for 3 more minutes. Add cooked noodles, chicken and rice wine sauce. Heat through and toss to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cashews before serving.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace chicken with 400g firm tofu cut in 2cm cubes.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of noodles, chicken stock and soy sauce.