Chicken and eggplant parmigiana
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 25.28 / $ 6.32 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 1 medium-sized (350g) eggplant, cut in 1cm slices, halved
- 600g chicken breast fillets, cut lengthways in 1cm-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley or oregano
- 4 medium slices sourdough bread
- 4 cups green salad with 4 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 2 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar)
- extra fresh oregano (optional)
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 2-litre (30x 22cm) ovenproof dish with oil. Microwave or steam eggplant slices for 2 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and cook chicken over a high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Add lemon juice and sprinkle with dried oregano. Place chicken in dish. Add eggplant slices interspersed with chicken pieces.
3 Combine tomato pasta sauce with tomatoes and balsamic. Spoon over chicken and eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, combine garlic and fresh herb in a small bowl. Spray each piece of bread with oil then grill on a hot plate to get char marks or place under a hot grill to toast. Top each bread slice with herb and garlic mixture. Serve parmigiana with bread, salad and scatter over extra fresh oregano (if using).