Chicken and lentil shepherd’s pie
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 800g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup trim milk
- 2/3 cup red lentils
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock*
- 400g cooked chicken, skin removed
- 400g packet frozen chunky mixed vegetables
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce*
- 2/3 cup freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Preheat oven to 210°C. Boil or steam potatoes until soft. Drain. Mash with milk until smooth.
2 Meanwhile, combine lentils and stock in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
3 Cut chicken in large chunks. Add to lentils. Add vegetables and pasta sauce. Stir over a medium heat until hot. Spoon into a 2-litre baking dish.
4 Spoon mashed potato over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until brown.