Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
Total cost: $ 16.40 / $ 4.10 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 x 125g skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 60g grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- oil spray
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups passata
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (60g) freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Butterfly each chicken breast (see tips). Mix breadcrumbs with three-quarters of the parmesan.
2 Dip each breast in egg then in breadcrumb mix. Chill while preparing sauce.
3 Preheat oven to 190°C. To make sauce, spray a pan with oil. Cook onion and mushrooms until softened. Add passata with garlic, sugar and oregano. Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
4 Fry chicken in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes each side, 2 breasts at a time.
5 Pour sauce into a shallow ovenproof dish. Add chicken. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and cheddar cheese. Cook for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check dried oregano is gluten free.
- Make it a meal! Serve with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
Step-by-step butterflying chicken breasts
Step 1 Use a sharp knife to cut down the centre of each chicken breast to a depth of three-quarters of the way through.
Step 2 Open the breast up like a book.
Step 3 Cover with plastic wrap.
Step 4 Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten out the breast to about 1cm thickness.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..