Chicken pot pies
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1-2 medium leeks, trimmed, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 250-300g button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 400g skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup light evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- oil spray
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Heat first measure of oil in a large non-stick pan. Add leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until leeks are soft. Stir in mushrooms and cook until just softened. Add chicken and stir-fry until chicken has lost its pink colour.
2 Add thyme, evaporated milk and sherry. Simmer gently for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3 Preheat oven to 200°C. Divide the filling among 4 (preferably fairly shallow and wide) ramekins, filling each to about 1cm below the rim. Place filo sheets you require on a clean dry surface. Spray the top sheet lightly with oil then lightly scrunch up. Arrange scrunched filo over the surface of a ramekin. Repeat with the remaining filo. (You can use 1 or 2 sheets per ramekin.)
4 Arrange ramekins on an oven tray then place pies in oven and bake at 200°C for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Serve alone or with a salad or lightly cooked vegetables and a slice or two of French bread.
The filling mixture can be prepared in advance.