Chicken schnitzel with mashed kumara
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
500g kumara, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons reduced-fat spread
1/4 cup trim milk
2 large (200g each) chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
1/4 cup plain flourall purpose flourX
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups quinoa flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups broccoli florets
4 cups baby rocketarugulaX
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
- In a small saucepan, place tomatoes, garlic and vinegar and set over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Season with cracked black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook kumara for 10-12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Return kumara to pan. Add spread and milk then season with pepper. Mash until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap until 5mm thick. On a plate, place flour. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white with 1 tablespoon water. On a second plate, place quinoa flakes. Dip chicken into flour, then egg white mixture and then quinoa and place on a third plate. Continue to coat remaining chicken to make 4 crumbed schnitzels.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Cook schnitzels for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook broccoli for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Serve chicken with tomato sauce, kumara mash, broccoli and rocket.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.