Chicken with spicy crunchy topping
Time to make: 15 mins , plus 30 mins marinating
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 x 125g lean chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lemon, juice
- 4 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- oil spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Butterfly each chicken breast (see tips). Place chilli flakes, peppercorns, cumin seeds, sugar and salt in a blender to process.
2 Make 2-3 slits in each chicken breast. Mix oil, lemon juice and soy sauce together. Brush over chicken. Top with peppercorn mix. Chill for 30 minutes.
3 Preheat grill. Place chicken on a tinfoil-lined baking tray. Top with onions and capsicum. Spray with oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes either side or until cooked through.
4 Serve garnished with fresh mint.
NOTE: Diabetes-friendly when served with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Make it a meal! Serve with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
Step-by-step butterflying chicken breasts
Step 1 Use a sharp knife to cut down the centre of each chicken breast to a depth of three-quarters of the way through.
Step 2 Open the breast up like a book.
Step 3 Cover with plastic wrap.
Step 4 Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten out the breast to about 1cm thickness.