Curried vegetable puff tarts
Time to make: 50 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (potato, pumpkin, carrot, broccoli, beans, kumara - whatever you have to hand)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX
- 400g can lite evaporated milk
- 1 can water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 5 sheets reduced-fat frozen puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons milk
- sprinkling poppy seeds
Total fat 23.6g
Saturated fat 11.1g
Dietary fibre 4.5g
1 In a large frying pan or saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic and onion until soft. Add the prepared vegetables, chickpeas and spices and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, taking care that the spices do not burn.
2 Pour in the evaporated milk and water, simmer until the vegetables are soft and the sauce is reduced. If the curry is too liquid when cooked, turn up the heat to reduce the liquid further and thicken with cornflour. Leave to cool.
3 Divide pastry sheets into quarters, brush around edges with water, put a spoonful of mixture onto each quarter, pull corners into middle and pinch along joins to form raised ‘seams’. Brush with milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds: Bake at 210°C until golden and puffed. Serve with rice and chutney or yoghurt and mint dressing.
Use leftover chicken, fish or sausage instead of the chickpeas, for a meaty version.