Easy butter chicken
Time to make: 2 hrs 40 mins , plus 3 hrs marinating
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
6 (1kg bone in) skinless chicken thigh cutlets
2 tablespoons tandoori paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriandercilantroX
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
410g can tomato purée
1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
2 tablespoons honey
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
1 cup trimmed snow peas or frozen peas
1 cup sliced green beans
2 bunches trimmed Asian greens, cut in 8cm lengths
3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
- In a large bowl combine chicken and tandoori paste. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. In a large flameproof casserole dish heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, for 4–5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from dish and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to dish. Cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste, tomato purée, stock, honey and cinnamon. Bring to the boil.
- Return reserved chicken to dish. Cover then bake for 1 1/4 hours. Uncover dish and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until chicken falls off the bone and sauce thickens. Stir in yoghurt.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water blanch green veges until just tender. Drain. Serve with chicken and rice.
Make it gluten free: Check tandoori paste, ground spices, tomato paste, tomato purée, stock and yoghurt are gluten free.
If freezing, leave out yoghurt and add when reheating for best results.