Easy curried chicken and rice
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 teaspoons canola or rice bran oil
- about 600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 1 tablespoon hot or mild curry powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 cup basmati or other long grain rice
- 400g can Indian-style tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Heat oil in a heavy-based cast-iron casserole or large pot. Add chicken and cook each side for 3–4 minutes until lightly browned.
2 Set browned chicken aside and add onion and garlic to casserole. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and starting to brown. Stir in carrot and capsicum. Cook for 2–3 more minutes. Add curry powder and ground spices and stir-fry for about 1 more minute.
3 Add rice, tomatoes, water and browned chicken. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover with a close-fitting lid. Cook for 15–20 minutes, stirring every 3–4 minutes to prevent ‘catching’ on the bottom, until rice is cooked through. If mixture is too dry before rice is cooked, add an extra 1/2 cup water.
4 When rice is cooked add chickpeas, frozen peas and season to taste with salt. Heat gently until peas are cooked then stir in coriander.
Serve with a simple salad and your favourite chutneys and relishes on the side.