Father’s Day lamb skewers
Time to make: 40 mins , including marinating
Total cost: $ 18.00 / $ 4.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
400g lean lamb steaks
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 red, orange or yellow capsicum
1 medium red onion
4 button mushrooms
4 large (70g) wholemeal pita
4 cups rocket or lettuce
4 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Cut meat in cubes (about 2cm x 2cm). Mix lemon juice with garlic and pour over meat. Leave for 15 minutes and only then heat oven grill to 220°C.
2 Wash vegetables. Cut capsicum in slices of similar size to meat. Peel onion, cut in half and separate layers. Slice courgette. Halve each mushroom. Thread veges and meat onto 8 skewers, taking care to include every type of vegetable on every skewer. For best results, alternate each meat cube with a vege.
3 Grill skewers for 8 minutes until medium brown. Serve with wholemeal pita, sliced tomatoes, rocket or lettuce leaves and yoghurt.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita and check yoghurt is gluten free.
- Put a dried apricot onto each skewer for a hint of zesty sweetness.
- For extra taste, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme onto skewers just before cooking.
- Adding 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika or ground coriander seeds will add a deeper flavour to the dish.
- If Dad prefers beef, use beef steaks.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before you start — this will stop the ends from burning in the oven.
- Be careful if you are using metal skewers, the ends will get extremely hot.