French onion soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2kg onions, peeled, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- 12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette (French-style bread stick)
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Heat spread and oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 25-35 minutes or until golden. Add sugar and stir to blend. Add flour and stir to blend.
- Slowly add stock and water, stirring constantly, until combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to high. Place bread slices on a baking tray. Grill both sides until golden. Sprinkle with cheeses. Grill until cheese has melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with cheese toasts.
Browse hundreds of recipes with a gluten-free option. Easy and healthy gluten free meals, delicious cakes and desserts. Browse hundreds of high-fibre recipes. Delicious and healthy meal ideas with high fibre ingredients. Browse hundreds of low-kilojoule recipes. Delicious low-kilojoule/calorie meal and snack ideas. Fresh, inspiring and healthy vegetarian recipes to help you maintain a balanced diet while living meat free. Our vegetarian recipes are full of goodness and perfect for vegetarians and people wanting to enjoy a meal without meat.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free. Use gluten-free flour and bread.
Photographer: André Martin
First published: Aug 20092018-04-16 15:02:16
Ready to put your health first?
© Healthy Life Media LimitedAll rights reservedReproduction without permission prohibited