Fruited lamb casserole
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 600g lean lamb
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice or white wine
- salt and pepper, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- large leafy green salad, to serve
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 Cut lamb from the shoulder or leg into 15mm cubes, removing fat. Pat meat dry then sprinkle with flour and toss to coat, patting flour into the meat. Discard excess flour.
2 Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep frying pan then brown onions evenly, adding spices as onions cook. Remove from pan, increase heat and brown meat all over, in batches if necessary. Add browned onions to meat mixture.
3 Add almonds, apricots, water and juice (or wine). Cover and simmer gently for 30-45 minutes or until lamb is tender. Add extra water if meat looks dry.
4 Taste lamb and adjust seasonings and thickness. To thin mixture, add more water. To thicken, reduce mixture by simmering longer or mix 1 teaspoon cornflour with 1/4 cup water and stir through. Stir in coriander and mint. Serve with salad.
Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with couscous.
Make it gluten free: Omit flour and check cornflour (if using to thicken) is gluten free.