Green tea and vanilla ice cream
Time to make: 3 hrs 10 mins , plus 2-3 hrs freezing
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
3 tablespoons Japanese green tea powder (matcha)
1/3 cup trim milk
11/2 cups trim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 tablespoons custard powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt or low-fat natural yoghurt
fresh mint sprigs, to serve
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 0g
- Mix the green tea with 1/3 cup trim milk. Set aside.
- Make the custard by heating 11/4 cups milk and the vanilla paste in a pan. Mix remaining milk with custard powder and sugar to make a paste.
- Pour the hot milk over the custard paste and return to the pan and cook, stirring until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Mix the cooled custard with the yoghurt and green tea. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 11/2 hours. Remove and mix the frozen parts with the non-frozen parts.
- Return to the freezer and freeze until soft frozen. Alternatively pour into an ice cream maker and process. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze until soft frozen.
- Serve with fresh mint sprigs.
Make it gluten free: Check custard powder is gluten free.
Find matcha in the Japanese section of Asian supermarkets.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.