Griddled chicken with pearl barley salad
Time to make: 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 400g baby vegetables such as baby carrot, baby beetrootbeetsX, onions
- 1 red onion, sliced
- oil spray
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pitted olives
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 400g lean chicken fillets (or tenderloins)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped or a sprinkling of dried red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Cook pearl barley following packet directions. Meanwhile, place all vegetables, except tomatoes in a large baking dish and spray with oil. Cook for 30 minutes, respraying halfway through. Add tomatoes for the last 5 minutes.
2 Once cooked, rinse barley in cold water and drain. Spoon onto a large serving platter. Sprinkle over olives and half the mint. Top with vegetables.
3 Toss chicken in oil, garlic and chilli. Heat a griddle pan until hot and cook chicken 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through and golden.
4 Blend olive oil and balsamic and drizzle over salad. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with remaining mint then serve.
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of barley. Check dressing is gluten free.
To transport: Pack barley, vegetables and chicken separately and combine on a platter to serve.