Time to make: 2 hrs 20 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 15.60 / $ 2.60 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g lean lamb, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon each ground turmeric, ginger, paprika and black pepper
- 400g can diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander, leaf and stalks
- 1/2 cup risoni or orzo pasta (or spaghetti broken in 2cm pieces)
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 lemon, juice
- extra chopped fresh coriander (and mint, if preferred), to garnish
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Heat 4 teaspoons of the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add lamb and brown lightly. Remove meat and set aside.
2 Add onion, celery and carrot to pan (add the remaining oil if needed) and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened. Stir in spices and cook for 1 more minute or so.
3 Return lamb to pan then add tomatoes, hot water, lentils and coriander. Stir to combine. Allow mixture to come to the boil then cover pan with a close-fitting lid. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
4 Cook for about 1 1/2 hours then add pasta and chickpeas. Cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the pasta is soft.
5 Add lemon juice. Spoon into bowls and serve garnished with extra coriander and mint (if using).
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta (or omit).