Italian meat loaf
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- Meat loaf
- 1 small onion, grated
- 500g lean beef minceground beefX
- 1 cup (90g) fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 small carrot, scrubbed, grated
- 1 small courgette, grated
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled
- 1/2 cup trim milk
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 cups vegetables, steamed, to serve
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line the base and sides of a medium- sized loaf tin with baking paper, overhanging by 2cm on the two long sides.
2 Place meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper. Using clean hands, mix until well combined. Spoon into prepared loaf tin, pressing down firmly.
3 Bake for 25 minutes then remove from oven and drain any excess fat from tin. Return to oven for 10 more minutes or until firm to the touch and meat loaf comes away from sides of tin.
4 Meanwhile, place cannellini beans, potato and milk in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add garlic. Use a food processor or stick blender to process until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
5 Remove meat loaf from oven and cool for several minutes before removing from tin (using paper ‘handles’). Cut in thick slices and serve with mash and steamed vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of breadcrumbs and pesto.